Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Strawberry Cheesecake + Happy Birthday Sister!

Happy Birthday to dear sister! Middle age never looked so good!

Haha, I always joke that my sisters are middled aged even though they're only in their mid 30's. It's better to accept aging sooner than later right? =)


Life Designed
For her birthday I attempted yet another cheesecake...This time strawberry! 

Life Designed
OK... so I know it doesn't look the greatest...but it's still a major step up from my previous cheesecake attempt from this post.



I found a new recipe - one that calls for sour cream- which I've never put in a cheesecake before! In the past I've only used the most basic cheesecake recipe. I figured I'd give this one a try.

I can't find the link of where I got this recipe but here it is:

Crust:
1 cup graham cracker crumbs
3 tablespoons butter, melted
3 tablespoons sugar

Filling:
2 packages cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
1cup sour cream
3 eggs

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Mix graham cracker crumbs, butter and sugar. Press firmly into a 9" pan.
Bake for 10 minutes. Set aside.

Turn oven temperature up to 350 degrees F.
Beat 1/2 cup sugar, cream cheese, lemon juice and lemon peel with electric mixer on medium speed until blended. Do not over mix or your cake will crack!

Add sour cream, mix well.

Add eggs one at a time on low speed- mix just until blended.

Pour mixture into the crust

Bake 50 minutes or until center is almost set.

Cool completely. 


***Major tip to prevent cracks in the cake is to put a shallow pan of water on the rack below the cheesecake.  This was the best tip I've found for cheesecake! 

Glaze:

2 cups fresh strawberries
3/4 cup water
2 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup sugar

Crush 1 cup of strawberries. Add water and cook for 2 minutes- stirring constantly.
Cook until mixture is clear and thick. 
Cool at room temperature.

Halve the remaining strawberries and place on top of chilled cheesecake.
Pour glaze on top.
Chill for at least 2 hours.
Life Designed
I really liked the lemon touch to the cake! The glaze was...OK. I'd be okay with just fresh strawberries.

I also made shortbread cookies and sugar cookies and then for dinner some bok choy in oyster sauce,  garlic mashed potatoes and asparagus with prosciutto and garlic. I've been spending a lot of time in the kitchen lately!


My sister feeds me all the time so the least I could do was try to cook some dishes for her.

Life Designed
The star of the dinner was this:

Life Designed

And no... I did not bbq this. I wish. (Sorry to all you vegetarians...I love meat)



This is my brother in law's famous beer can chicken! Absolutely delicious. So juicy and tender and the rub is to die for! 



I ate so much I wanted to burst....


My parents are away on a trip so this was our first family dinner without them.... It felt weird. 


When they get back we'll have another bbq to celebrate and I have a somewhat healthy, diabetic friendly dessert in mind...What is it? You'll have to check back and see! =)

Apparently when people eat it, they can't tell it's healthier than chocolate cake! Fingers crossed that it turns out!


Happy Birthday Sister!! Hope you had a great time with your beautiful boys!!


Life Designed
While she was out on a lunch date with her hubby, I got the boys to make hand prints - easy enough with the 5 year old. The 2 year old got the hang of it after a few practices- it helps that he copies everything the older one does! 


And baby Nathan... so cute! I got paint on his face, arms and on his clothes... haha


Matthew also wanted to do their footprints but we ran out of time!  

I love my family. I don't know where I would be without them.

1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday to your sister Nancy! Looks like a delicious dinner, especially the asparagus! I love them!

    Maria

    ReplyDelete