Thursday, January 19, 2012

She's About To Pop! Baby Shower

I've organized a couple baby showers but I've only used a theme for one of them.


Why? I'm not sure! I think theme's are the way to go!


My sister's shower for her 3rd child was held late last summer. As I was browsing shower themes, I came across "She's About to Pop!" 


By no means is it a new theme but it was new to me!


While "researching" I found an image of a bunch of coloured plates on the wall. I thought that was a fantastic idea and even better: economical!! 


For a more realistic "pop" or bubble effect, you can use balloons instead of plates but I liked the plates.


All I needed was some plates from the dollar store and paint (tester size) from Home Depot. The colour scheme was blue, yellow and white. I found yellow plastic plates in 2 sizes but no one had the shade of blue I had in mind. Martha to the rescue!


Life: Designed
The colour is Araucana Teal and it's ah-mazing! It's a beautiful greenish blue-seafoam with a touch of teal. What I REALLY love about Ms Martha's tester sizes? They come with a brush! Attached to the lid! It's brilliant! 


Life: Designed
Once the painting was done, I arranged the plates randomly on sheets of poster board until I found an arrangement that I liked. Then out came the hot glue gun and I was done!


Life: Designed
I just wish the wall was white so the poster board would blend in more but what can you do?


I wanted to stay away from writing your name on cups with a Sharpie and since it was a small gathering, I made cup labels on Publisher complete with names printed on them. I think it's a nice touch but if you do this... make sure you don't miss anyone! I did... but luckily I was able to run home and make one last minute before she arrived! 


Life: Designed
Going along with the "pop" theme, we had different kinds of popcorn and the party favours were filled with "pop" candies such as a ring pop, lollipop, pop rocks, etc.


Life: Designed
The cupcakes look a little sad... I have since bought some icing tools so the next time I make cupcakes, I promise they will look a lot better!


Life: Designed
Life: Designed
It's hard to read but the labels say "Thanks for popping by!"- again something I found online that I thought was cute.


With the left over paint from the plates, I painted an old wooden board I found in our backyard and used it as a "tray" for the favour bags.


Life: Designed
For games I made up a POP quiz where guests had to unscramble words that had the word pop in them. The first person to unscramble the list, blow up a balloon and pop it was declared the winner.


The second activity involved shot glasses.


Don't worry. Alcohol was not served.


Life: Designed
This activity was a take on a baby pool but involved luck more than anything else.


I made the stand out of left over foam core and spray painted it white. Then I took plastic shot glasses from the dollar store and glued numbers on them. 


The point of the game was for guests to come up one at a time and answer questions such as:


What day will the baby be born?
How many pounds will it weigh?
How long will my sister be in labour?
etc.


With each question, guests had to throw a little ball into the cup with the number they desired. It wasn't a serious pool as most of it was based on aim and luck. 




We got some funny "guesses"
a 22lbs baby!!
3 hours of labour (haha doesn't she wish!)


I also had a few cups that had a question mark on it instead of a number so if guests got this lucky shot, they had the freedom to answer however way they wanted.


Themes are great! You can choose to go all out and have everything down to the very last detail relate back to the theme or you can simply use it as a general guide (like I did).


I posted this on Project Nursery- check it out! 


I truly mean it when I say thanks for popping by my blog! =)

19 comments:

  1. Love it! These colours are amazing together!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, would you be willing to share the pop quiz questions you used? Such a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course! I just posted an entry where there's a better image of the quiz along with the answers. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I do nοt κnow if it's just me or if everybody else encountering issues with your blog. It appears as though some of the written text on your content are running off the screen. Can someone else please provide feedback and let me know if this is happening to them too? This might be a problem with my internet browser because I've
    hаd this happen befoгe. Many thаnks
    Feel free to surf my web blog :: Sterling Silver Hoop Earrings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I haven't heard of anyone else having this issue and I've viewed my blog on various computers. If anyone else is experiencing this problem, please let me know! Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Now this is crazy enough! Really an entertaining baby shower theme! Got to know about various pretty LA venue from online searches and will surely book one for my daughter's birthday treat in a couple of weeks. Food and drinks with chocolate candies will be done. Cake cutting will be unique and games ideas are still on hunt.

    ReplyDelete