Saturday, January 28, 2012

Commune Cafe



So as part of my research for my restaurant project, my friend, her daughter and I went to Commune Cafe last Sunday for the first time.

Commune Cafe


Of course the first thing I noticed was the decor. The pendants are made of cork- love! And the red chairs are pretty awesome. The seats by the windows are made of really densely compacted felt so it was like sitting on a wood  bench but much easier on the derriere.


Commune Cafe


As you can see they have this long table for 18 guests.


I arrived a little nervous- expecting to commune with others. This is completely out of my comfort zone...but... I wanted to push myself to try something new.


When we arrived, the long table was half full. 


But half full like this: (the coloured squares represent different parties)




Life: Designed

There was no room for a threesome so by default we sat in the "booths" by the window. I was a bit disappointed but it gave me the opportunity to see how the communal table was doing. I guess if I really wanted to, I could have asked someone at the communal table to move over but... I'm not that bold. 


But this is exactly what I'm talking about. All the guests had the opportunity to commune with and meet strangers at a place called COMMUNE Cafe but instead they left empty seats between them and the next party. Why do we always feel the need to have a buffer?


I'm not bashing these patrons. I'm exactly like them! When I go out with my friends, I just want to talk with them, not with strangers. And when strangers are so bold as to cross that buffer, they get the stink eye... There's something really wrong with that, right?


While we waited for our food I told my friend about my project and she looked around and saw how everyone was in their own bubble and she said, "It won't work. People won't do it.".


And that's problem right there. It's not "normal" to interact with strangers. Like I said in my previous post, communal dining is NOT for everyone. It's ironic that I'm so antisocial but I have this desire to design a communal restaurant. I look at my nephews and niece and I want them to be friendly, social and to genuinely love other people- whether they know them or not (within reason of course! I still want "stranger danger" to be on their minds!).


OK so going back to this plan view I made:


Life: Designed


Half way through our meal, someone came and sat across from Purple Square who had her head in a newspaper the whole time we were there. Purple Square looked up at New Square who gave her a smile. I don't know what Purple Square did because I couldn't see her face. I just saw her immediately return to her newspaper. Shortly after Purple Square got up and left. Aw... poor New Square.


People watching is fun!!


It's my friend's bday is next week and we're going check out The Irish Heather. I honestly feel anxious about it...but as uncomfortable as it will be... I think this is just something I have to do!

5 comments:

  1. I love long tables, in cafes,restaurants even bars! I'm an Interior Designer as well and I'm really tired of simple, isolated tables!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lol(ed)@ "the stink eye" comment. Where is this curious place?! It looks so nice! How was their food? Kinda want to try that now. We should go! Except, we would HAVE to talk to the strangers sitting next to us.. lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's on Nelson and Smithe! Check out their website- the link is in the post. Food was OK. I want to go back and try their cheese and butcher board! Oh and my friend loved their peanut butter hot chocolate (I wasn't a fan). Let's go one day! And yes... we won't be like the purple square...

      Delete
  3. Have you heard of Farm to Fork in gastown? It's more a secret supper club than communal dining but sounds just as novel. 6 course tasting menu made from 'farm fresh westcoast fare' Saw it in a magazine. It's not cheap but sounds interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! You should take your hubby for his bday!! I'll watch the kids!

      Delete