Tuesday, July 03, 2012

Peanut Butter + Nutella Cookies?

I remember the first time I had a peanut butter cookie. 


My neighbour, who's kid my sister's and I played with and babysat, baked us a batch and at first I was thinking, "what kind of cookie is this with the weird bumps on top?" And then... it melted in my mouth. Peanut butter goodness....


Since then, all those many years ago, I've always wanted to make peanut butter cookies but for whatever reason, I just never did. I'm thinking it's probably because when push comes to shove, chocolate always wins.


Well, I mentioned a couple days ago that I was at my sister's house where we made banana bread and since we happened to have the ingredients, I decided it was finally time to make some peanut butter cookies!


Using the same "quick" "simple" "easy" method I mentioned before, I found the Kraft Canada site that listed only 3 ingredients to make these cookies. That's pretty darn quick, simple and easy. 


But maybe a little too easy. 


Such limited ingredients... how would it taste?


So I stepped it up a notch and went for this recipe. (The picture they use on the site does not look like your typical peanut butter cookie...)


Now for peanut butter sandwiches (I eat mine with sugar- I know that's weird. Most people add jam or honey... I have yet to meet another person who eats peanut butter and sugar sandwiches) I usually go for the smooth spread. The Kraft recipe called for smooth. Peanut butter cookies need the crunch in my opinion! 


And that's exactly the kind of peanut butter my sister had. Good girl.


These are super easy to make. The only tricky part (and it's not even that tricky) is the criss cross pattern: 


Life Designed
Do not be skimpy when flouring the fork or else you get a mushy mess. I could have started over, but I was too impatient. I was using a little convection oven so I had to bake these 3-4 cookies at a time!


Life Designed
Note: watch these babies carefully! They are so easy to over bake!


Well, thankfully they tasted pretty good.  Not too sweet and very peanut buttery!


The only thing is they were a tiny bit grainy for me but my sister thought they were fine. Oh and the cookies my neighbour made were a lot thicker. I just read on another site that if you add 1/2 cup more flour and 1/2 cup more of peanut butter that they turn out thicker.


I thought about adding chocolate chip chunks but opted for Nutella! Ok it actually wasn't the Nutella brand. It was the Superstore version of Nutella.


Life Designed
The only difference should be the shade of cookie and the taste right?


Life Designed
Wrong.


Epic fail! 


The "nutella" spread changed the consistency of the batter and these cookies were even flatter! Notice you can barely make out the criss cross pattern. I don't know if you can really tell from this picture, but trust me, they came out paper thin!


This is the second time in 2 weeks that I made paper thin cookies! Haha! Please do not let this be a trend.


A little while ago, I made classic chocolate chip cookies with my nephew. I wish I could blame the kid for the disaster but it was all me. I was too impatient (again!) and melted the butter so the batter was all gooey and instead of refrigerating it to harder a bit... I baked the whole lot. 


If you desire paper thin cookies that look like they melted and not in a good way, follow my lead.


Oh with these peanut butter cookies, you could barely even taste the hazelnut chocolate! Good thing I only made a few of them.


My parents are going on an Oregon road trip with their friends this week so I'll give them a stash of cookies and banana bread to take with them! 


Funny how I rarely have a desire to eat what I've baked. At least not right away. ; )


Overall, I give this recipe an 8 out of 10. It doesn't quite live up to my childhood memory of my neighour's cookie, but isn't that always the case?


Do you remember the first time you ate a peanut butter cookie?

No comments:

Post a Comment