Sunday, July 01, 2012

Banana Bread + Oh, Happy Canada Day eh?

Happy Canada Day to all my fellow canucks!


I love my country but that's as patriotic as this post is going to be! On to baking!


Yesterday I spent the day at my sister's house and we ended up having an impromptu cooking/baking fest.  Now, I'm no expert in the kitchen.  Food I cook is usually only for me. It's good enough for me to devour when I'm starving, not good enough to share with others. 


Baking is a different matter. I love baking! Again, I'm no expert but I just really enjoy it and I find baked goods to be a little more forgiving when serving to others.


My sister mentioned she had a several bananas in the freezer so we decided to make banana bread which I've never made before if you can believe it!  A couple of my friends make a wicked banana bread and I actually enjoy the banana bread at Starbucks so I've just never had to make it. Not to mention I love bananas so they're usually consumed as soon as I bring them home. 


When looking for a recipe, my sister said to type in "easy" "quick" or "simple"- her go to words when looking for recipes! Haha


Well it worked and I found this very simple recipe. They aren't lying about the prep time being 5 minutes. I think we had in the oven in 4. 


Never having made this before, I was a bit confused about the colour because every banana bread I've eaten has either been brown all over or a brown exterior. 


But after an hour, we took it out of the oven and we had this:


Life Designed


A nicely browned top! Just ignore those cracks please... =)


Oh I forgot to mention! The recipe didn't call for it but we added some chocolate chips. I can't help it, I love chocolate. 


The recipe calls for 1 cup of sugar and it notes you can use 3/4 cups which is what I was going for but my sister accidentally used the wrong measure cup and we ended up using about a cup of sugar. Luckily, it wasn't overly sweet. If anything, I think the sugar creates a crispy top layer that was a nice balance to the moist bread center.  Yummy!


Life Designed
I was really happy with how it turned out and I would definitely use this recipe again!


My sister suggested adding some walnuts next time. I just might do that! 


I see a lot of banana freezing in my future. 


If you have a favourite banana bread recipe, please share it in the comments!


I also made garlic mashed potatoes (the one thing I feel confident enough to share with others) to go along with my sister's pork chop and then for the heck of it, I made peanut butter cookies- another first! Yes...we ate A LOT yesterday.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Nancy! I absolutely love banana bread, I shared a recipe for a low fat banana nut bread last week on my blog! This looks so yummy! Have a lovely week :)

    Maria

    ReplyDelete