Sunday, July 29, 2012

DIY Terrariums With Thrift Store Vases + Apartment Therapy Feature!

So I know I'm kinda late on the scene with this but... I love terrariums!


They look so lovely and are SO much fun to make! 


And trust me, you do not need a green thumb to make 1 (or 12) of these.


When my friend and I went shopping for terrarium jars, we hit up thrift stores to see what we could find. 


At first, we didn't find anything and we were just about to leave when then I asked my friend, why not use a large brandy glass?


She loved the idea! I love that we're on the same wave length!


We picked up a few different items in addition to the brandy glass. When shopping for terrarium jars, don't be confined to the typical jars ie. mason jars. Use wine glasses, candle holders, candy dishes etc. (Don't get me wrong, I love mason jars! In fact we made about 5 mason jar terrariums!)


Life Designed
Here are a few we made using dirt cheap (pun intended haha) potting soil from Home Depot ($3 for a HUGE bag), irish moss, mini cactus and rocks- my friend found some jars of little rocks at Chapters for $2. We also gathered some larger rocks from her backyard.


We were on a roll and made about 8 terrariums with the intent to make a whole lot more! 


Have you made a terrarium?


If not, you've been warned- they are so addicting!


PS The other day, I found out from my friend that I've been featured on Apartment Therapy! Thanks to Colleen Quinn for finding my DIY Bar Cart post and featuring it! Check out her post here.

2 comments:

  1. Nancy- sorry I didn't email to let you know about the feature! Thanks for sharing your wonderful project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Colleen! Not a problem! Thank you so much for the feature! What an honour!! =)

      Delete