Friday, February 24, 2012

Ikea Rast Dresser Makeover!

Hello! I've only been gone from blogland for a few days but it feels like forever! Glad to be back!

So my last post was about a dollar store jewelry box and m&m's. I'm happy to report, the jewelry box's colour has been tweaked a little (more on that in a bit!). I'm sad to report my trip to the States rendered ZERO m&m's... I couldn't find them anywhere! So when I got home I called Nestle. Yes... I called the chocolate company! I might be a wee bit obsessed with these m&m's.

Well.. turns out the triple chocolate and mint m&m's are under review- meaning they aren't currently being made.. AhhhhhhHHHH. This does not look good for my favourite m&m's.

That put a damper on my day. Not to mention we got a whole lot of wet snow and rain today! I thought winter was on it's way out??!

However! I was determined to not let that stop me from finally painting my dresser!

So I ventured out in the rain/snow and got my pulls from Anthropologie:

Life: Designed
Love love love them! They cost almost twice as much as the dresser...but they sure are pretty!

I'm sure most of you are familiar with the Ikea Rast Dresser:

Ikea
Last year I was going through a white phase and painted all my furniture white.

Life: Designed
Well... I don't know about you but I need some colour in my life! And currently any shade of blue/green is my colour of choice!

I've had various thoughts on what to do with this dresser but once I saw those Anthropologie pulls, I was done!

After I made my painfully expensive purchase, I raced over to Home Depot to get some paint. I have several shades of turquoise and seafoam green in my little collection but I didn't want to spend time mixing colours to get the right shade.

I didn't need a lot of paint so I was just about to get the tester paint for Martha Stewart's Hummingbird Blue when I passed by the "returned paint section" and saw this:

Life: Designed
It was pretty much the exact same shade as the hummingbird and the whole gallon was $9!! How could I resist?!

Not to mention it's:
Eggshell finish. Check.
Has primer included. Double Check!
Low odour. Triple Check!!

With just 2 coats and a protective finish, I was done! And I'm in love.
(I have so much of this paint left over that you can expect many more projects using this colour!)

Life: Designed
It's so fresh and feminine. Those pulls will be a part of my life for a very very long time.

Oh and that jewelry box I painted a few days ago? Well with my abundance of left over paint, I repainted the box so now it matches the dresser perfectly! As luck would have it, the hardware was a perfect match to the drawer pull hardware!

Life: Designed

Life: Designed

Who says you can't have tree branches in your bedroom?? That's the left over branch from Mia's 100 day celebration.


Finally my dresser is made over and I couldn't be happier!

Happy Weekend Everyone!!

21 comments:

  1. i love your dresser and the decoration items on it! So pretty!!!
    gatheredinthekitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! That space is really starting to come together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!! It's such a pretty colour. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that looks so pretty! Love how fresh and feminine it all is and those new pulls are gorgeous. Thank you so much for sharing it with us at Inspiration Friday this week!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both the dresser and decorations on it are so lovely! Love the colors!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg i love that drawer and the stuff that you have on it! esp the owls! I know I haven't been online for a while.. I was dealing with a client and it didn't really go so well. I'll tell you more about it in a bit :P Btw, what's a Liebster Award? I had to take a second look at the spelling.. I thought it spelled "Biebster" award.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful job on the dresser - it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This turned out lovely! I'm a huge fan of blue-green myself. I love how the pulls bring a feminine feel to the dresser!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute! I love those pulls. I'm your newest linky follower. :) ~Megan

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow I LOVE this dresser! The color and pulls are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so pretty! Like something out of a Pottery Barn catalog :) Thanks for sharing it at the Cutesy Monday link party!

    XO! Kathryn
    destinationcraft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks so much more custom now! I hacked some Rasts too, except mine are all white! I love them for now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. absolutely fabulously wonderful!!! I love it!!! I have some pulls like this that I am wanting to use now you have made me want to get up-cycling even more! Thanks for the inspiration!
    Jaime from crafty scrappy happy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am in love with the way your dresser turned out!! The color is perfect and the pulls are beautiful. Thank you for sharing with us at Link It Up Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. very pretty! never would've picked blue, but i'm now a believer! and the knobs... seriously... anthropologie can do no wrong!
    hilldalehouse.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. The transformation is incredible! Im an owl fanatic so I adore the owl addition!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a gorgeous make-over!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great project and I really love the mint/aqua top. It looks so gorgeous with white accessories! xx

    Anna (My Design Ethos)

    ReplyDelete

  19. خدمات النظافة بالدمام لابد ان تقدمها شركة لديها ثقة في اتمام خدمات النظافة المنزلية لان النظافة العاية لا تعطي النتيجة الفعالة التي تتم بواسطة شركة تنظيف بالدمام متخصصة لانها تهتم بكل شئ داخل المباني فلدينا شركة تنظيف فلل بالدمام تكون متخصصة في نظافة الفلل المفروشة والمستعملة واعطائها الرونق الجمالي الخاص بها لدينا شركة تنظيف شقق بالدمام متخصصة في اعمال نظافة الشقق المنزلية وشقق المكاتب والمعارض بواسطة الادوات والمواد اللازمة لعمل ذلك لدينا تخصصتنا في اعمالنا التي ترضي العميل وتخلصة من الحشرات الصغيرة التي تسبب ازعاج كبير للاسرة من خلال شركة مكافحة حشرات بالدمام التي لديها معدتها وموادها لعمل ذلك كما يوجد متخصص ايضا للقضاء علي الحشرات من خلال التواصل مع شركة رش مبيدات بالدمام التي تنتهيك من كل الحشرات المنزلية كما نعمل معا للواصل اليك كل الخدمات المنزلية من خلال خدمة الاثاث بواسطة افضل شركة نقل اثاث بالدمام والتعامل معها سوف يصل الي منزلك الجيد بدون اي تعب
    كما يوجد خدمتنا الاخري التي يمكنك البحث عنها م والاستفادة منها
    شركة تنظيف بالقطيف
    شركة تنظيف بالجبيل
    شركة تنظيف بالاحساء

    ReplyDelete