Friday, January 25, 2013

Help Build 20 Homes in Fiji!

Habitat for Humanity
Hello my lovely readers! Guess what?! Out of 100 students, I've been selected with 14 others to partake in a new initiative with my school, Kwantlen Polytechnic University and Habitat for Humanity! 

We will be volunteering for 2 weeks in May participating in HFH's Bula Special Build. (Bula means "hello" in Fijian!). This is a world wide initiative where 200+ volunteers from all over the world are coming together from April-May of this year to build 20 homes for Fijians who are living in sub-human standards.
Like Us On Our Facebook Page!
Our team is comprised of a diverse range of students from various faculties. I have the honour of representing the Faculty of Design! Since this is my last semester before I graduate from the Bachelor of Interior Design Program, this truly is a once in a lifetime opportunity!

As this is a new initiative with our school, we're trying to get the word out to everyone we know to raise awareness. We're also raising funds through sponsorship, donations and fundraising events. 

I know a lot of you reading this don't personally know me, but if you feel so inclined to donate to a worthy cause, you may do so by going to our donation page. Please write my name (Nancy Choi) in the message box as we need to track which donations are connected to which team members.

Every dollar counts! I would be so thankful if you donated even $1! (Donations of $20+ will receive a tax receipt).

You donation goes to: 1) Habitat for Humanity Fiji to purchase building materials/supplies 2) helps reduce the team fees. The total cost is about $3,000/person. With funds raised, we're hoping to reduce our fees to about $1,000/person.

Thanks in advance for spreading the word about this amazing project and for funds you are able to donate! If you do donate, please send me a comment or email so I know who to personally thank! =)
Habitat for Humanity
The above picture is a before and after of a home in Karoko Village from 2011. This is the type of work we will be doing! 

We're actually the last team of volunteers that will be in Fiji for this project so we get to hand keys over to the families! That is going to be amazing...I'm not going to be able to hold back my tears!


Habitat for Humanity is a non profit organization with a Christian foundation. Their mission is to help end the cycle of poverty one home at a time.

1 comment: