Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Turn A Coffee Table Into A Bench!

I've been keeping an eye out for a simple coffee table that I could turn into a bench. It's been a long hunt...but at last! I thought I found the perfect table at a second hand store. And at $19 it was too good to be true!





Well... it was. 



Life Designed
It's not the best piece of furniture (as in- it's not solid wood, it has a woven detail on the sides which I did not know about when I went in to buy it!).


But... it was only $19 and I drove across the city to get it so...it came home with me! I can work around this. 


What I do like about it, are the tapered legs and the size. It's pretty sturdy too.


Life Designed
I don't know why a coffee table needs handles for non existent drawers but this table has not one, but two handles- one on either side of the table. Aren't they fabulous? Not.


Once I took these handles off, I was left with 2 very visible holes. Due to the woven detail, I couldn't just fill them in with wood filler. Solution? 


I thought about buying new pulls but #1 what kind? Sleek modern hardware with the woven detail would not look good and #2 hardware would cost more than the table itself!


I gave the existing pulls a coat of spray paint thinking, maybe I'll just stick with what I've got.  No...the new coat of white did nothing for them. 


So at this point I was really tempted to get these awesome rope pulls from Anthropologie:



I love both styles! So nautical and just plain cool and I think rope would go well with the woven detail.


But I didn't feel like forking out $24 for two pulls.


So....? DIY!


Life Designed



Ok so it's not nearly as cool and polished as the Anthropologie pulls, but it'll do for now:

I took the existing hardware, spray painted it white and wrapped jute around it. 

I was originally thinking about getting sisal rope and making a pull more like the first Anthropologie image but the sisal rope at Canadian Tire was a very pale beige. I like the darker jute colour better. If I can find the right colour and width of rope, I might try another DIY! 

Life Designed
There she is! 

I like how the woven detail is barely noticeable and the jute pull gives it a very casual, beachy look- the toss cushions add to the seaside vibe. (They're Martha Stewart cushions I got from Home Depot last summer on sale for $7 each)

This piece might be suitable for my friend's new home as an entry bench! 

I would like to upholster some foam and make this a much more comfortable piece that can double as seating in her living room when she has lots of guests over. It's long enough to sit 2 to 3 people. 

Oh something I've noticed with flat spray paint. Tell me if the same happens with you. 

Life Designed
After a couple coats, the paint has this bumpy texture. Just in some spots. I usually use glossy or satin spray paint but my friend's been using flat so I used the same for this piece. She's noticed the same issue as well. 

It's an easy fix with very fine grit sandpaper but I'm wondering if anyone else out there has had the same issue with flat spray paint?

10 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Making your own wrapped handles was really clever! Nice project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Featured you!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! It turned out great and your pulls are awesome!

    -Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  4. it looks lovely! i don't know about the spray paint issue- sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks great. I like the colors and the nice touch you added to the handles.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute! That is one of the reasons I stopped using spray paint on furniture, it's so unpredictable :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That doesn't even look like the same piece of furniture! It looks great and that's a really good idea to turn it into a bench. Love the handles :) I'd love for you to share this at my Throwback Thursday link party. http://www.hubbymademe.com/throwback-thursday-no-3/

    Hope to see you there! Thanks so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just stopping by to thank you for sharing this at my Throwback Thursday party! You already know how much I love this! I hope to see you again this week :)

      Delete
  8. Great idea, this turned out awesome, you did an amazing job.beds and mattresses online deals

    ReplyDelete